I’m back again, sitting in front of a computer that is fast enough to up and download.

I travelled down to Invercargill by Catch-a-Bus and saw one friend travelling on the bus, someone who only occasionally see. He was going down to Invercargill for the holidays to care for his hospitalised father. The last time he travelled by van was a trip to a conference in the North Island. On the trip there the vanload of people came coined the title of a new and irregular periodical the Bulletin of the Signal Hill Institute of Technology. I would love to see a copy of it. Apparently it has a contributors’ distribution only.

I stayed with Dave in Invercargill and we visited his parents for tea.

On arrival my mother wanted me to take part in Sunday’s church service by squeezing her donkey. Her children’s talk on a nativity theme involved a children’s book, toy animals providing the noises. I don’t like being volunteered by my mother to take part in her activities. I got arround it by paying a visit to my brother just before the church service. I gave him a gift of a pair of novelty golf balls, their oval shape means that they can do trick shots. We drove up town to look at second-hand computers on sale for $500. That meant that I was too late to participate in my mother’s children’s talk.

Lunch was with Joe’s family. Three Aunties were present (including my mother), and his sisters attended with available families. Gifts were shared. I got treats of food, a new duvet cover, a new towel (warning: colours may bleed, so don’t wash with anything else), a deck of cards(!) and a calendar. The calendar is very nice, images of new New Zealand art. I already have a calendar in my room, the Maramataka one, so I have put the 2005 calendar in the hallway opposit the telephone.

Tea was a traditional visit to one of the Aunties. Aunties, in my cosmology, count as a force of nature, irresistable and continuant. There was no Queen’s Message, instead we watched a video of The Calendar Girls. I had not seen it before and it proved an entertaining british film which the gathered hapu enjoyed. Apart from that it felt no different to a celebration that we would normally have after summer solstice, the festival of light.

I returned to Dunedin by the same service, leaving first thing in the morning. Joe decided to remain in Invercargill until the latter part of the day and return on the Knight-Rider. After a pleasant weekend I would feel no regrets if the opportunity was available for me to live and work in Invercargill.

The cats appear to be physically and psychologically undisturbed by my absense, despite being in the care of a flatmate who anticipated the weekend with evil overlord’s laughter: Mwahahahaha!