Invercargill: still standing. (Is this a sign I’m picking up Southern Dave‘s writing style?)

It was twenty to eleven when Joe and I started to walk down the hill to meet the bus. T’n’T (Tao and Tessa) started to follow us. It was when we got onto Lovelock Avenue and the cats were still following us that we took them home and put them inside. I would rather not have the cats following me down the hill into the university residential area of town. If it happens again I might have to buy a phone number tag for Tao to match the one that Tessa the Great has.

I was expecting to meet the Knight Rider bus on the corner of Dundas street when the Dundas Street Dairy provides a seat and a cover. While we were hazed by a student who appeared to be euphoric from something to the point of homoeroticism. Sorry, darling, you’re not my type, and your proposal was hardly a come-on.

The bus was travelling on time and arrived comfortably within the scheduled meeting time. I farewelled Joe and got on board. I found a spare seat and watched the end of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Not really a comfortable journey. I didn’t find the foldable armrest until halfway through the journey. Most the time I was wavering between holding my head upright and relaxing and nodding forward while keeping my balance and avoiding invading the space of the girl beside. Constantly shifting because I was too tired to relax in the moving bus. I did not really enjoy the journey. It was the most convenient way of getting to Invercargill for the wedding; I probably wouldn’t use it again unless there was no other alternative.

I seem to get to one wedding per year. This one was the most safe and conventional one to which I have been. I was held in the Catholic Basilica. There were about 50 people present: a handful of family members and the rest divided between friends of the groom (especially territorials) and the filipina wives community. A lot seemed to have been done cheaply, except for the limo and the bride’s dress. The bride was very pretty. The groom wore a transparent filipino shirt over a vest. It wasn’t a look that I would recommend for a wedding.

While we were waiting for wedding wake – sorry, wedding breakfast – I went with my brother for a few beers at the Southland Club. When we got to the reception venue I was tempted to go back. The Southland Club was the better venue, although the kitchens were closed waiting on new staff.

I went with my mother to service at First Church for the centennial celebrations for South School, her old school. The intermediate school that I attended, Tweedsmuir, is now closed, the pupils are incorporated into the high school formerly known as Kingswell (when I attended it), now called Aurora after the amalgramation. The Tweedsmuir buildings have been given over to neighbouring Southland Girls High School.